Last Updated: 1 August 2021
AN ACT TO PROVIDE A STATUTORY FRAMEWORK WHICH PROMOTES THE WELFARE AND PROSPERITY OF ALL FIJI’S PEOPLE BY—
- (A)CREATING MINIMUM LABOUR STANDARDS THAT ARE FAIR TO WORKERS AND EMPLOYERS ALIKE, AND TO BUILD PRODUCTIVE EMPLOYMENT RELATIONSHIPS;
- (B)HELPING TO PREVENT AND ELIMINATE DIRECT AND INDIRECT DISCRIMINATION IN EMPLOYMENT ON THE BASIS OF RACE, COLOUR, GENDER, SEXUAL ORIENTATION, AGE, PHYSICAL OR MENTAL DISABILITY, HIV/AIDS STATUS, MARITAL STATUS, FAMILY RESPONSIBILITIES, PREGNANCY, RELIGION, POLITICAL OPINION, NATIONAL EXTRACTION OR SOCIAL ORIGIN;
- (C)PROVIDING A STRUCTURE OF RIGHTS AND RESPONSIBILITIES FOR PARTIES ENGAGED IN EMPLOYMENT RELATIONS TO REGULATE THE RELATIONSHIP AND ENCOURAGE BARGAINING IN GOOD FAITH AND CLOSE OBSERVANCE OF AGREEMENTS AS WELL AS EFFECTIVE PREVENTION AND EFFICIENT SETTLEMENT OF EMPLOYMENT RELATED DISPUTES;
- (D)ESTABLISHING THE MEDIATION SERVICES, THE EMPLOYMENT RELATIONS TRIBUNAL AND THE EMPLOYMENT RELATIONS COURT TO CARRY OUT THEIR POWERS, FUNCTIONS AND DUTIES;
- (E)ENCOURAGING CONSULTATION BETWEEN LABOUR AND MANAGEMENT IN THE WORKPLACE FOR BETTER EMPLOYMENT RELATIONS AND PRODUCTIVITY IMPROVEMENT;
- (F)COMPLYING WITH INTERNATIONAL OBLIGATIONS AND GIVING EFFECT TO THE CONSTITUTION; AND
- (G)FOR RELATED MATTERS.
[EMP 101A] Rights of men on paternity leave101A
(1) A man whose partner is entitled to maternity leave under this Part, or would be entitled to maternity leave under this Part if she were employed, is entitled to paternity leave and to abstain from work for a period of not less than 5 working days provided that he—
(2) Where a man has completed more than 3 months continuous service with the same employer he is entitled to paid paternity leave for a period of not less than 5 working days, as follows—
(3) The man may only proceed on paternity leave during the 3 months immediately before the date specified under subsection (1)(b) and the 3 months after the birth of his child.
(4) The paternity leave entitlement under this section may be taken in a lump sum period or in shorter periods amounting in the aggregate to not less than 5 working days, as agreed between the man and his employer.
[s 101A insrt Act 23 of 2018 s 7, effective 1 January 2019]