Last Updated: 1 August 2021
AN ACT TO PROVIDE A STATUTORY FRAMEWORK WHICH PROMOTES THE WELFARE AND PROSPERITY OF ALL FIJI’S PEOPLE BY—
- (A)CREATING MINIMUM LABOUR STANDARDS THAT ARE FAIR TO WORKERS AND EMPLOYERS ALIKE, AND TO BUILD PRODUCTIVE EMPLOYMENT RELATIONSHIPS;
- (B)HELPING TO PREVENT AND ELIMINATE DIRECT AND INDIRECT DISCRIMINATION IN EMPLOYMENT ON THE BASIS OF RACE, COLOUR, GENDER, SEXUAL ORIENTATION, AGE, PHYSICAL OR MENTAL DISABILITY, HIV/AIDS STATUS, MARITAL STATUS, FAMILY RESPONSIBILITIES, PREGNANCY, RELIGION, POLITICAL OPINION, NATIONAL EXTRACTION OR SOCIAL ORIGIN;
- (C)PROVIDING A STRUCTURE OF RIGHTS AND RESPONSIBILITIES FOR PARTIES ENGAGED IN EMPLOYMENT RELATIONS TO REGULATE THE RELATIONSHIP AND ENCOURAGE BARGAINING IN GOOD FAITH AND CLOSE OBSERVANCE OF AGREEMENTS AS WELL AS EFFECTIVE PREVENTION AND EFFICIENT SETTLEMENT OF EMPLOYMENT RELATED DISPUTES;
- (D)ESTABLISHING THE MEDIATION SERVICES, THE EMPLOYMENT RELATIONS TRIBUNAL AND THE EMPLOYMENT RELATIONS COURT TO CARRY OUT THEIR POWERS, FUNCTIONS AND DUTIES;
- (E)ENCOURAGING CONSULTATION BETWEEN LABOUR AND MANAGEMENT IN THE WORKPLACE FOR BETTER EMPLOYMENT RELATIONS AND PRODUCTIVITY IMPROVEMENT;
- (F)COMPLYING WITH INTERNATIONAL OBLIGATIONS AND GIVING EFFECT TO THE CONSTITUTION; AND
- (G)FOR RELATED MATTERS.
[EMP 245D] Paternity leave245D
(1) Notwithstanding section 101A, a man whose partner is entitled to maternity leave under Part 11, or would be entitled to maternity leave under Part 11 if she were employed, is entitled to paternity leave and to abstain from work for one working day within the COVID-19 period for a year of service.
[subs (1) am Act 19 of 2021 s 3, effective 1 August 2021]
(2) The entitlement under this section is only applicable if the man complies with the requirements set out in section 101A.